الأربعاء, مايو 20, 2026
  • Login
عاشق عُمان
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات
No Result
View All Result
عاشق عُمان
No Result
View All Result




Home Oman News

Philippines' Duterte withdraws from 2022 Senate race

14 ديسمبر، 2021
in Oman News
Philippines' Duterte withdraws from 2022 Senate race

MANILA: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday withdrew his candidacy for the 2022 Senate race, the government elections monitor said, a month after he made a last-minute entry into the contest.

Duterte, 76, is constitutionally barred from seeking re-election, and his decision to run for the Senate had been seen as a way of staying in politics while facing an international probe into his deadly drug war.

“The President has filed his withdrawal from the Senatorial elections,” James Jimenez, spokesman for the Commission on Elections office, said on Twitter.

Duterte decided to withdraw from the May elections to “better focus” on the government’s pandemic response and ensure “orderly and peaceful elections”, his spokesman Karlo Nograles said.

“After over four decades in public service, the President plans to retire from government to spend more time with his family when his term ends in June 2022,” Nograles added, without specifying if Duterte was quitting politics altogether.

The elections will see thousands of candidates contest more than 18,000 posts from president to town councillor.

Duterte said previously he would run for the country’s second-highest office, before changing his mind and announcing plans to retire from politics — which was met with deep scepticism among analysts.

His latest withdrawal does not necessarily mean he will exit politics. Under election rules, he has until midday on election day to substitute in for another candidate sharing his surname if they are disqualified or die.

Duterte’s daughter Sara is running for vice president while his son Sebastian is contesting the mayoral race in the family’s southern stronghold of Davao City.

“It’s very dizzying,” said Antonio Contreras, a political science professor at De La Salle University in Manila.

Contreras said Duterte may have “made a deal” to ensure the next president would protect him from criminal charges in the Philippines, or the International Criminal Court.

“They’ve probably already made sure that somebody is going to act on their behalf to protect their interests,” he said.

ICC judges authorised a full-blown investigation into Duterte’s anti-narcotics campaign in September, saying it resembled an illegitimate and systematic attack on civilians. Rights groups estimate the drug war has killed tens of thousands of people.

‘PROBABLY BORED’

Duterte’s exit from the race came hours after his close aide and chosen successor Senator Christopher Go formally withdrew his candidacy for president.

“He’d probably be bored in the Senate because he’s used to being in command,” said Jean Franco, a political science professor at the University of the Philippines.

The current leader in the presidential race is the son and namesake of former dictator Ferdinand Marcos, according to a recent survey by respected polling outfit Social Weather Stations.

Marcos Jr was followed by incumbent vice president and Duterte critic Leni Robredo, celebrity mayor Francisco Domagoso and boxing great Manny Pacquiao.

Sara Duterte, who had been widely expected to run for the top job, has formed an alliance with Marcos Jr.

Duterte has been an ally of the controversial Marcos family, which had gone into exile in the United States after the patriarch’s humiliating downfall in 1986.

But recently Duterte has been publicly critical of Marcos Jr, describing him as a “weak leader… saddled with baggage”.

Duterte also accused an unnamed presidential candidate of using cocaine, prompting several candidates, including Marcos Jr, to announce they had tested negative for illegal drugs. – AFP

Share196Tweet123
Previous Post

7.3-magnitude quake strikes Indonesia

Next Post

No US troops to be punished over deadly Kabul drone strike

أحدث المنشورات

بنك مسقط يوقّع اتفاقية شراكة استراتيجية مع شركة جندال للحديد لتقديم حلول مصرفية مبتكرة ومتطورة لإدارة المدفوعات المالية

Bank Muscat Signs Strategic Partnership Pact with Jindal Steel to Deliver Advanced Digital Payment Solutions

18 مايو، 2026
جهاز الاستثمار العُماني يسجل أداءً تاريخيا في 2025م بأرباح تقترب من 3 مليارات ريال عماني

Oman Investment Authority Records Historic Performance in 2025 with Profits

18 مايو، 2026
شراكة مجتمعية نوعية لتدريب وتشغيل الأشخاص من ذوي متلازمة داون بين بنك مسقط و أكاديمية عُمان للسياحة

Landmark Community Partnership for Individuals with Down syndrome between Bank Muscat & Oman Tourism Academy

17 مايو، 2026
Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

17 مايو، 2026
محسن حيدر درويش وHONOR تفتتحان متجر HONOR Experience الجديد في عُمان

MHD-ITICS and HONOR Introduces New HONOR Experience Store in Oman

17 مايو، 2026
تعزيز الشراكة بين جامعة السلطان قابوس وبنك مسقط دعمًا لمعرض مشروعات التخرج في نسخته الثانية

Bank Muscat Supports Sultan Qaboos University’s Second Student Graduation Projects Exhibition

13 مايو، 2026
Next Post
No US troops to be punished over deadly Kabul drone strike

No US troops to be punished over deadly Kabul drone strike

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Whatsapp : +96899060010

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات

Copyright © 2024