X

• تصفية - فلترة
  • الوقت
  • عرض
إلغاء تحديد الكل
مشاركات جديدة

• A gift from UK to Sultanate of Oman 40 for 40

Ben Reeves, November 17, 2010

As a gift to His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said, the government of UK is helping fund the higher education of 40 Omanis at a cost of over RO400,000. The 40 for 40 fund has reportedly been graciously accepted by His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said.

The fund is being organised by the Oman branch of British Scholarships Overseas (BSO), the British Embassy and the British Council.

The BSO has been responsible for sending nationals to the UK for university courses (Master’s and higher levels). “The 40 for 40 fund is a special one for this year, with it being 40 years of His Majesty the Sultan’s rule. What we're doing is sending 40 students, who wouldn't have otherwise the opportunity to further their education after school, as a gift to His Majesty the Sultan. He has received it very graciously,” said Chris Green MBE, vice-chairman of BSO and the 40 for 40 fund, besides being the CEO of Heavy Equipment Maintenance and Trading Company.

Chris added that the 40 students, studying diploma or Bachelor’s degree programmes, have already started their courses. The students were initially selected by the Ministry of Education and then whittled down to the lucky 40, based on their academic abilities.

Of the 40 students, 12 are male and 28 female. One student is studying at the College of Information Technology, one at the College of Engineering, four at the College of Banking and Financial Studies (CBFS), 15 at the National Hospitality Institute (NHI) and 19 at the Caledonian College of Engineering. One of the students who has benefited from the scheme, Ahad al Hsoni, is studying business management at CBFS. She said that she was very nervous at the interview because there were around 200 entrants to be narrowed down to the lucky 40.

“They asked us to write an essay before the interview about why we thought we should get the scholarship. I want to show that we are good enough to take this opportunity and to be something for Oman,” Ahad said. She is very driven and determined to take full advantage of the opportunity presented to her.

“I wanted to get into business college since high school. This scholarship gave me the opportunity to be in a college, which is sponsored by another college in the UK – Bradford University. My aims are high – I'm aiming to finish my Master’s abroad.” She hopes to work for an international company in the near future.

Khulood al Hajri, studying at NHI, said, “I didn't realise that the hospitality industry wanted so many people to work there and that this course is so popular. Many people want to participate in this, but they can't afford it. I felt that it was a very good chance for me to do the course that I wanted to do.

“Everyone wants to reach the highest level they can. I do too, but I also want to be known. I want to be known for doing something good, not just for being a manager or supervisor, but for changing something and for bringing in something new. That's my ambition – to change the hospitality course.”

Robert MacLean, principal of NHI, said that the 40 for 40 students had recently participated in their first practical sessions in hospitality and that many had voluntarily come in for more experience. He further added that all of the 40 for 40 students have been invited to the garden party when Queen Elizabeth II visits this month.

Robert agreed with Chris in noting that with Oman's focus on the tourism trade, hospitality would be a good industry to be in in the near future. “But it is a very challenging industry to get young people interested in.” According to him, even in the UK, less than 30 per cent of the employees in the hospitality industry in London are UK nationals.

NHI, in association with the Chaînes des Rôtisseurs, recently held a gourmet dinner at the Marina Bandar al Rowdha to raise money for the 40 for 40 fund. “We've been contacting UK companies here for donations; we also run two or three shows every year to raise money. The St George's Society donates all of its excess funds to it; the Women's Guild also pledges money – there are many different ways of doing it. British Business Forum has also contributed – they do fund-raisers,” Chris said.

He added that Omani companies have also contributed to the fund and that there are collection boxes at the British Embassy, British School Muscat, American-British Academy, the Muscat Rugby Club and NHI. “We've had a lot of generous donations and they're still coming in slowly. If anyone would like to donate, they can contact me,” said Anne Boyd, chief administrator of the fund. Anne's email address is [email protected]

“We've got quite a fair chunk of the money to keep us going – at least a couple of years' worth, probably just over. But we're still sorting out the money that's coming in. I'm absolutely confident that the rest will come in,” she said.

The fund has four years to raise all of the money required – approximately RO10,000 per student per year for tuition fees only. Most of the courses being taken by 40 for 40 students are four-year courses, which will leave those 40 students with a qualification sufficient to get a well-paid job. “It's been challenging, but very rewarding,” said Anne.

“It's future management for companies here and hopefully they'll keep British interests at heart. There are long links between Oman and England. Let's hope it keeps going,” said Chris about both of BSO's activities and the fund.

The Week
    On prograss ......
يعمل...
X