الثلاثاء, مايو 19, 2026
  • Login
عاشق عُمان
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات
No Result
View All Result
عاشق عُمان
No Result
View All Result




Home Oman News

Asian Tour back on tee after 20 months

23 نوفمبر، 2021
in Oman News
Asian Tour back on tee after 20 months

Bangkok: Golf’s Asian Tour returns after 20 months of pandemic inaction in Thailand this week, buoyed by a $200 million cash injection from Australian legend Greg Norman into 10 new lucrative tournaments from next year.

When the $1 million Blue Canyon Championship tees off on Thursday on the idyllic Thai island of Phuket, it will see the first shots played on the Asian Tour since the Malaysian Open on March 7, 2020.

The restart comes just weeks after Norman shook up the world of golf by announcing his new Saudi-backed series of 10 events from 2022, triggering speculation that it could be the first step towards the Great White Shark’s oft-touted dream of a golf “super league”.

Asian Tour Commissioner and CEO Cho Minn Thant insists Norman’s move is not a takeover of the circuit and his priority is to finish the 2019-2020 campaign which ground to a halt to combat the coronavirus pandemic.

“This week will help us to finally begin the process of completing our season, following the most difficult period in our history,” Cho told asiantour.com.

Australia’s Wade Ormsby has led the order of merit since winning the Hong Kong Open in January 2020.

He will head a strong field for back-to-back events in Phuket which will also feature home favourite Jazz Janewattananond and American John Catlin, fresh off a top 10 finish in the $9 million DP World Tour Championship in Dubai on Sunday.

Jazz, the 2019 order of merit champions, will be joined by Asian Tour luminaries such as Scott Hend of Australia and Shiv Kapur of India in the 144-player field.

– ‘Most lucrative season’ –

Players will make the short journey next week to the Laguna Phuket Championship, followed by two more $1 million events slated for Singapore in January to round off the longest season in Asian Tour history.

Both Thai events will be played in “bubble” conditions, without spectators, and players have to be fully vaccinated to compete.

Resuming play in Asia had been complicated by the variation in Covid rules across different countries.

But Thailand dropped its strict quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated visitors, allowing the Tour to stage the back-to-back tournaments in Phuket.

The 2022 season schedule is yet to be announced but will begin with the $5 million Saudi International in early February, which is not be part of 10-event series funded by the Norman-helmed LIV Golf Investments.

The company is majority owned by the Saudi Public Investment Fund, one of the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds, which was behind the recent takeover of Premier League football side Newcastle United.

The Gulf kingdom’s move in to sport has brought allegations of “sportswashing” — buying positive publicity to distract from its human rights record.

But Cho said the new partnership would help the Asian Tour stabilise and recover from the impact of the covid shutdown.

“To have 10 tournaments with prize money above $1 million each has basically never before been seen on the Asian Tour,” Cho told AFP.

“It’s very likely to be the Asian Tour’s most lucrative season.” — AFP

Share196Tweet123
Previous Post

اتحاد الكرة يكلف حبريش بتدريب المنتخب الأولمبي والعجمي مديرا

Next Post

93% of target population in Sultanate received one dose of Covid-19 vaccine

أحدث المنشورات

بنك مسقط يوقّع اتفاقية شراكة استراتيجية مع شركة جندال للحديد لتقديم حلول مصرفية مبتكرة ومتطورة لإدارة المدفوعات المالية

Bank Muscat Signs Strategic Partnership Pact with Jindal Steel to Deliver Advanced Digital Payment Solutions

18 مايو، 2026
جهاز الاستثمار العُماني يسجل أداءً تاريخيا في 2025م بأرباح تقترب من 3 مليارات ريال عماني

Oman Investment Authority Records Historic Performance in 2025 with Profits

18 مايو، 2026
شراكة مجتمعية نوعية لتدريب وتشغيل الأشخاص من ذوي متلازمة داون بين بنك مسقط و أكاديمية عُمان للسياحة

Landmark Community Partnership for Individuals with Down syndrome between Bank Muscat & Oman Tourism Academy

17 مايو، 2026
Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

17 مايو، 2026
محسن حيدر درويش وHONOR تفتتحان متجر HONOR Experience الجديد في عُمان

MHD-ITICS and HONOR Introduces New HONOR Experience Store in Oman

17 مايو، 2026
تعزيز الشراكة بين جامعة السلطان قابوس وبنك مسقط دعمًا لمعرض مشروعات التخرج في نسخته الثانية

Bank Muscat Supports Sultan Qaboos University’s Second Student Graduation Projects Exhibition

13 مايو، 2026
Next Post
93% of target population in Sultanate received one dose of Covid-19 vaccine

93% of target population in Sultanate received one dose of Covid-19 vaccine

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Whatsapp : +96899060010

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات

Copyright © 2024