الثلاثاء, مايو 19, 2026
  • Login
عاشق عُمان
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات
No Result
View All Result
عاشق عُمان
No Result
View All Result




Home Oman News

Armed groups clash in south Libya week ahead of polls

14 ديسمبر، 2021
in Oman News
Armed groups clash in south Libya week ahead of polls

TRIPOLI: Gunmen linked to Libyan military chief Khalifa Haftar exchanged artillery and gun fire overnight in the country’s south, authorities and local media said on Tuesday, with medics reporting one person dead.

The clashes come a week before the war-torn North African country is due to hold a presidential election that observers fear could trigger a return to conflict after a year-long ceasefire.

“A militia armed with heavy weaponry and armoured vehicles… stole 11 four-wheel-drive vehicles from Sebha in an armed robbery,” Sebha’s police force said.

It identified the attackers as members of a group commanded by Mabruk Sahban and affiliated with Haftar, who is a candidate in the December 24 polls and whose forces control much of Libya’s south.

The stolen vehicles had been sent to Sabha by the interior ministry in Tripoli to help secure the election, the police statement said.

Sahban’s forces attacked a police convoy and forced officers to drive the vehicles to Brak airbase, south of Sebha, it added.

Sebha security forces and pro-Haftar gunmen later clashed in central Sabha, local media reported.

Footage online apparently showed night-time clashes with small arms in the city centre.

Sebha Medical Center said in a Facebook post that “last night due to events in the city we received two wounded people and one dead”.

Local media said schools and public services were closed across the city on Tuesday.

Haftar had in 2019 seized much of southern Libya including oil infrastructure, military sites and the southwestern city of Sebha, before launching a blistering assault on capital Tripoli, 650 kilometres to the north.

Western Libyan forces pushed him back to his eastern stronghold a year later, but he retained an armed presence in the south.

A ceasefire formally signed in October 2020 paved the way for a UN-led political process to bring in an interim unity government tasked with leading Libya until the elections — in which Haftar is a candidate.

Libya has been attempting to extract itself from a decade of conflict since the 2011 revolt that toppled and killed dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

FEARS

With only days to go until scheduled elections, many fear a return to violence.

Standing near the port in Tripoli, Khaled al Turki said he has little optimism about the December 24 vote.

“The most prominent candidates are divisive,” the 25-year-old said.

“If there had been a candidate with broad public approval, competent and able to bring the Libyan people together, we would have been more optimistic. But that’s not the case.”

Before any government can fix the dire economic situation, it will need to bring security, said Adam Bin Fayed, who works with Turki at an international organisation in Tripoli.

“I hope that problems like electricity cuts, the lack of cash and (damaged) infrastructure can be sorted out,” Bin Fayed said.

“But the priority has to be security, because you can’t build anything … until security is in place.”

Like Turki, he is concerned over the lack of a unifying candidate.

“To build security, the president needs to be able to speak to all Libyans,” he said. – AFP

Share196Tweet123
Previous Post

Ras Al Ruwais – Enjoy the desert & the sea

Next Post

Vision Insurance launches unique insurance campaign for private motors

أحدث المنشورات

بنك مسقط يوقّع اتفاقية شراكة استراتيجية مع شركة جندال للحديد لتقديم حلول مصرفية مبتكرة ومتطورة لإدارة المدفوعات المالية

Bank Muscat Signs Strategic Partnership Pact with Jindal Steel to Deliver Advanced Digital Payment Solutions

18 مايو، 2026
جهاز الاستثمار العُماني يسجل أداءً تاريخيا في 2025م بأرباح تقترب من 3 مليارات ريال عماني

Oman Investment Authority Records Historic Performance in 2025 with Profits

18 مايو، 2026
شراكة مجتمعية نوعية لتدريب وتشغيل الأشخاص من ذوي متلازمة داون بين بنك مسقط و أكاديمية عُمان للسياحة

Landmark Community Partnership for Individuals with Down syndrome between Bank Muscat & Oman Tourism Academy

17 مايو، 2026
Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

17 مايو، 2026
محسن حيدر درويش وHONOR تفتتحان متجر HONOR Experience الجديد في عُمان

MHD-ITICS and HONOR Introduces New HONOR Experience Store in Oman

17 مايو، 2026
تعزيز الشراكة بين جامعة السلطان قابوس وبنك مسقط دعمًا لمعرض مشروعات التخرج في نسخته الثانية

Bank Muscat Supports Sultan Qaboos University’s Second Student Graduation Projects Exhibition

13 مايو، 2026
Next Post
Vision Insurance launches unique insurance campaign for private motors

Vision Insurance launches unique insurance campaign for private motors

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Whatsapp : +96899060010

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات

Copyright © 2024