الثلاثاء, مايو 19, 2026
  • Login
عاشق عُمان
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات
No Result
View All Result
عاشق عُمان
No Result
View All Result




Home Oman News

US admits Kabul drone strike mistakenly killed civilians

18 سبتمبر، 2021
in Oman News
US admits Kabul drone strike mistakenly killed civilians

Washington: The Pentagon said on Friday that a drone strike in the Afghan capital of Kabul last month mistakenly killed civilians rather than terrorists belonging to the IS group.   

The announcement came after the US Defence Department conducted an internal review of the strike.

As many as 10 civilians, including seven children, were “tragically killed” in the drone strike, US Central Command head Frank McKenzie said.

“It was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology,” McKenzie told reporters. “At the time of the strike, I was confident that the strike had averted an imminent threat to our forces at the airport.”

McKenzie added that he is “fully responsible for this strike and this tragic outcome.”

When asked if anybody would be held responsible for the civilian deaths, McKenzie said the military was “in the process, right now, of continuing that line of investigation, and I have nothing for you now because that involves personnel issues.”

Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin also apologised for what he described as a “horrible mistake.”

The Pentagon originally claimed the August 29 bombing targeted a vehicle carrying suicide bombers which were headed towards Kabul airport. The strike was conducted just days after a bombing claimed by the IS which killed scores of Afghani civilians and over a dozen US troops. The US and other countries were scrambling to finish their evacuations from Afghanistan ahead of the August 31 deadline.

The US military had said there were “no indication” of civilian casualties at the time of the strike. They also said that “[s]ignificant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material.”

However, an Afghan official quickly disputed the account, telling the AP news agency that children were killed in the blast.

DW’s Washington bureau chief Ines Pohl said this showed the US “needed better intelligence.”

“This might just be the beginning, as the US relies on drone strikes now that the troops have withdrawn,” she said.

McKenzie said the strike was conducted based on hours of surveillance and multiple intelligence reports, which made them believe a white Toyota Corolla was carrying explosives.

However, the review showed this to be wrong, with the secondary explosion most likely coming from the vehicle’s fuel tank.

“Moreover we now assess that it is unlikely that the vehicle and those who died were affiliated with ISIS-K, or a direct threat to US forces,” the general said, referring to the IS Khorasan group.   

McKenzie said the US may make reparation payments to relatives of the victims of the strike.

Separately, Defence Secretary Austin confirmed “there was no connection” between the driver of the vehicle and the IS group.

The driver’s activities that day were “completely harmless and not at all related to the imminent threat we believed we faced,” Austin said.
Humanitarian aid group Amnesty International said the US admission was a step in the right direction and that an impartial probe was now necessary.

“Anyone suspected of criminal repsonsibility should be prosecuted in a fair trial,” said the organisation’s senior crisis adviser, Brian Castner.

Share196Tweet123
Previous Post

تونس.. مظاهرة بالعاصمة تطالب بإنهاء الإجراءات الاستثنائية وتفعيل المؤسسات الدستورية

Next Post

“الصحة” تنظيم مؤتمراً علمياً حول الرعاية الآمنة للأم والمواليد

أحدث المنشورات

بنك مسقط يوقّع اتفاقية شراكة استراتيجية مع شركة جندال للحديد لتقديم حلول مصرفية مبتكرة ومتطورة لإدارة المدفوعات المالية

Bank Muscat Signs Strategic Partnership Pact with Jindal Steel to Deliver Advanced Digital Payment Solutions

18 مايو، 2026
جهاز الاستثمار العُماني يسجل أداءً تاريخيا في 2025م بأرباح تقترب من 3 مليارات ريال عماني

Oman Investment Authority Records Historic Performance in 2025 with Profits

18 مايو، 2026
شراكة مجتمعية نوعية لتدريب وتشغيل الأشخاص من ذوي متلازمة داون بين بنك مسقط و أكاديمية عُمان للسياحة

Landmark Community Partnership for Individuals with Down syndrome between Bank Muscat & Oman Tourism Academy

17 مايو، 2026
Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

17 مايو، 2026
محسن حيدر درويش وHONOR تفتتحان متجر HONOR Experience الجديد في عُمان

MHD-ITICS and HONOR Introduces New HONOR Experience Store in Oman

17 مايو، 2026
تعزيز الشراكة بين جامعة السلطان قابوس وبنك مسقط دعمًا لمعرض مشروعات التخرج في نسخته الثانية

Bank Muscat Supports Sultan Qaboos University’s Second Student Graduation Projects Exhibition

13 مايو، 2026
Next Post
“الصحة” تنظيم مؤتمراً علمياً حول الرعاية الآمنة للأم والمواليد

"الصحة" تنظيم مؤتمراً علمياً حول الرعاية الآمنة للأم والمواليد

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Whatsapp : +96899060010

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات

Copyright © 2024