الجمعة, مايو 22, 2026
  • Login
عاشق عُمان
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات
No Result
View All Result
عاشق عُمان
No Result
View All Result




Home Oman News

Ukraine says Mariupol evacuation delayed by Russian ceasefire violations

5 مارس، 2022
in Oman News
Ukraine says Mariupol evacuation delayed by Russian ceasefire violations

Kyiv: Officials in the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, surrounded by Russian forces, said on Saturday they were delaying an evacuation of the civilian population, accusing Moscow’s troops of breaking a ceasefire.

“Due to the fact that the Russian side does not adhere to the ceasefire and has continued shelling both of Mariupol itself and its environs and for security reasons, the evacuation of the civilian population has been postponed,” city officials said in a statement on social media.

Mariupol, a southern city of about 450,000 people on the Azov Sea, was scheduled to begin the evacuations at 0900 GMT, after Russian forces agreed a ceasefire to allow civilians to leave the fighting.

“We ask all Mariupol residents to disperse and head to places where they can shelter. More information about the evacuation will be posted soon,” municipal officials wrote.

“At the moment, negotiations are underway with Russia to establish a ceasefire and ensure a safe humanitarian corridor,” the statement added.

Russia’s defence ministry later accused Ukraine nationalists in Mariupol and Volnovakha — a town of 20,000 people near the rebel centre of Donetsk — of blocking Ukrainians from leaving towards Russia.

“The same is happening in Kharkiv and Sumy, as well as in a number of other settlements,” the defence ministry said in a statement, referring to two other cities in eastern Ukraine at the centre of fighting.

It also said it had respected the ceasefire and accused Ukrainian forces of shoring up defences during the halt in fighting.

The siege came as more Russian forces inched closer to the capital Kyiv, encountering stiff resistance in the western suburbs and the northern town of Chernihiv.

Dozens of civilians have been killed in shelling, missile attacks and air raids, and now those remaining live among the town’s ruins and in craters.

“There were corpses all over the ground,” Sergei told AFP, as air raid sirens wailed once more. “They were queueing here for the pharmacy that’s just there, and they’re all dead.”

Reporters who visited the town Saturday saw scenes of devastation — despite Moscow’s insistence it is not targeting civilian areas.

Fears are rising in Kyiv that the capital will suffer the same fate once Russian missile artillery is deployed within range.

Ukrainian Defence Minister Oleksiy Reznikov alleged Russia had changed tactics after encountering tough resistance.

Ukraine, he said, had defeated Russia’s plan to quickly storm major cities and overthrow President Volodymyr Zelensky’s government, forcing Moscow to resort to “cowardly” attacks on civilians.

Zelensky remains defiant and announced Saturday that Ukrainian forces were counter-attacking around Kharkiv, the country’s second largest city, which has seen Russian incursions and fierce bombardments.

“We inflict such losses on the invaders that they have not seen even in their worst dream,” he said.

Since Putin’s army invaded on February 24, Russia has pummelled Ukrainian cities, with officials reporting hundreds of civilians killed. Europe’s largest atomic power plant has even come under attack sparking fears of a catastrophic nuclear accident.

But Moscow has so far only seized two key cities in its 10-day-long invasion — Berdiansk and Kherson on Ukraine’s southern Black Sea coast.

Capturing Mariupol represents a bigger prize for Russian forces as it would deal a severe blow to Ukraine’s maritime access and connect with troops coming from annexed Crimea and the Donbas. — AFP

Share196Tweet123
Previous Post

Erdogan to urge Putin to end war immediately

Next Post

70 مسنا ومسنة يشاركون في فعالية «بهم تزدان الحياة»

أحدث المنشورات

بنك مسقط: التمكين وبناء القدرات يساهم في ديمومة النمو والتطور لرواد الأعمال العمانيين

Bank Muscat: Empowerment and skills Development Foster Entrepreneurial Success

20 مايو، 2026
Bank Muscat Organises Specialized Seminar to Advance the Future of Digital Payments

Bank Muscat Organises Specialized Seminar to Advance the Future of Digital Payments

20 مايو، 2026
بنك مسقط يوقّع اتفاقية شراكة استراتيجية مع شركة جندال للحديد لتقديم حلول مصرفية مبتكرة ومتطورة لإدارة المدفوعات المالية

Bank Muscat Signs Strategic Partnership Pact with Jindal Steel to Deliver Advanced Digital Payment Solutions

18 مايو، 2026
جهاز الاستثمار العُماني يسجل أداءً تاريخيا في 2025م بأرباح تقترب من 3 مليارات ريال عماني

Oman Investment Authority Records Historic Performance in 2025 with Profits

18 مايو، 2026
شراكة مجتمعية نوعية لتدريب وتشغيل الأشخاص من ذوي متلازمة داون بين بنك مسقط و أكاديمية عُمان للسياحة

Landmark Community Partnership for Individuals with Down syndrome between Bank Muscat & Oman Tourism Academy

17 مايو، 2026
Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

17 مايو، 2026
Next Post
70 مسنا ومسنة يشاركون في فعالية «بهم تزدان الحياة»

70 مسنا ومسنة يشاركون في فعالية «بهم تزدان الحياة»

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Whatsapp : +96899060010

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات

Copyright © 2024