الجمعة, مايو 22, 2026
  • Login
عاشق عُمان
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات
No Result
View All Result
عاشق عُمان
No Result
View All Result




Home Oman News

Chinese city of 21 million shuts down over Covid outbreak

1 سبتمبر، 2022
in Oman News
Chinese city of 21 million shuts down over Covid outbreak

BEIJING: Around 21 million people in the Chinese city of Chengdu effectively went into lockdown on Thursday as authorities raced to snuff out a new Covid-19 outbreak.

China is the last major economy wedded to a zero-Covid policy, stamping out virus flare-ups with snap shutdowns, mass testing and lengthy quarantines.

Chengdu, in the southwest, became the latest city to announce a shutdown, saying in an official notice that residents must “stay home in principle” from 6:00 pm (1000 GMT) on Thursday to combat a new wave of infections.

Each household will be allowed to send one person out to buy groceries and essential goods per day, provided they have tested negative in the previous 24 hours, the notice said.

It added that all residents would be tested for the virus between Thursday and Sunday, and urged them not to leave the city unless “absolutely necessary”.

“The current state of epidemic control is abnormal, complex and grim,” the announcement said, adding that the measures aimed to “decisively arrest the spread of the outbreak and guarantee the health of all citizens”.

Chengdu recorded 157 new local infections on Thursday, of which 51 displayed no symptoms, the city government said in a separate notice.

Swedish carmaker Volvo said the lockdown had forced it to temporarily close its Chengdu plant, which employs nearly 3,000 people.

Photos of empty supermarket shelves and Chengdu residents scrambling to hoard groceries went viral on social media.

Children in at least 10 cities and provinces across China are facing disruptions to their new academic year as pandemic controls force schools to switch to online learning, according to a report run Thursday in state-affiliated media.

Xining, the capital of western Qinghai province and home to 2.5 million people, has rolled out a mass testing drive and told residents in its main urban area to work from home for three days.

China’s southern hub of Shenzhen said new virus restrictions would come into force Thursday evening in its Nanshan district, which hosts the headquarters of tech giants Tencent and ZTE.

The district government said it had ordered entertainment venues including bars, cinemas and karaoke clubs to close, and started requiring residents to produce a recent negative Covid test to enter their housing compounds.

China has stuck to its zero-tolerance virus strategy despite concern that the approach is stifling its economy.

Last month, travellers in the southern island province of Hainan protested after more than 80,000 tourists were stranded in a resort city because of a Covid-19 flare-up.

Social media videos from the eastern megacity of Shanghai showed panicked crowds fleeing an Ikea store and another building as officials tried to impose local lockdowns in response to just two suspected cases. – AFP

Share196Tweet123
Previous Post

10 times normal rainfall drove vast Pakistan flooding: ESA

Next Post

Ethiopia, Eritrea forces launch Tigray offensive: Rebels

أحدث المنشورات

بنك مسقط: التمكين وبناء القدرات يساهم في ديمومة النمو والتطور لرواد الأعمال العمانيين

Bank Muscat: Empowerment and skills Development Foster Entrepreneurial Success

20 مايو، 2026
Bank Muscat Organises Specialized Seminar to Advance the Future of Digital Payments

Bank Muscat Organises Specialized Seminar to Advance the Future of Digital Payments

20 مايو، 2026
بنك مسقط يوقّع اتفاقية شراكة استراتيجية مع شركة جندال للحديد لتقديم حلول مصرفية مبتكرة ومتطورة لإدارة المدفوعات المالية

Bank Muscat Signs Strategic Partnership Pact with Jindal Steel to Deliver Advanced Digital Payment Solutions

18 مايو، 2026
جهاز الاستثمار العُماني يسجل أداءً تاريخيا في 2025م بأرباح تقترب من 3 مليارات ريال عماني

Oman Investment Authority Records Historic Performance in 2025 with Profits

18 مايو، 2026
شراكة مجتمعية نوعية لتدريب وتشغيل الأشخاص من ذوي متلازمة داون بين بنك مسقط و أكاديمية عُمان للسياحة

Landmark Community Partnership for Individuals with Down syndrome between Bank Muscat & Oman Tourism Academy

17 مايو، 2026
Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

Bank Muscat Launches Instant Digital Debit Card on Mobile Banking

17 مايو، 2026
Next Post
Ethiopia, Eritrea forces launch Tigray offensive: Rebels

Ethiopia, Eritrea forces launch Tigray offensive: Rebels

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Whatsapp : +96899060010

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • أخبار
    • الطقس
    • Oman News
  • مقالات
  • وظائف وتدريب
  • ثقافة وأدب
    • شعر
    • خواطر
    • قصص وروايات
    • مجلس الخليلي للشعر
  • تلفزيون
    • بث أرضي للقناة الرياضية
  • لا للشائعات
  • المنتديات

Copyright © 2024